Nothing chases away the cold weather like a steaming bowl of soup or chili. Warmth and comfort in a bowl. Be prepared this year with these tasty, healthy recipes.
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili – This has become one of our favorite ways to eat chili. Healthy, healthy and vegan. In this previous post, I added a few options for making it a few different ways.
It’s really hard to go wrong with anything that has Mexican flavors. Back in 2009 when I was introduced to this soup, it was an instant family favorite. It’s been tweaked a bit to suit our preferences.
- 1.75 pounds of lean organic ground beef – Kirkland Signature
- 1 15 oz can of Tri-Bean Blend (black beans, dark red kidneys and pinto benas) – Drained
- 1 15 oz can of black beans – drained
- 1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 can of Ro-Tel tomatoes
- 2 15 oz cans of diced tomatoes
- 2 15 oz cans of golden sweet white and gold corn
- 3 to 4 Tblsps of Taco Seasoning from a large container (McCormick’s) or 2 packets of your favorite brand
- ½ to 1 whole packet of ranch seasoning mix – optional
- 1 to 2 cups of chicken broth – Pacific
- Fritos, pico, chopped avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro – whatever garnish you like but the Fritos are a must for my boys!
First, brown the ground beef over medium heat until no longer pink. Then, add it to the bottom of the crockpot. Open all cans and add all ingredients to the crockpot. Stir to mix well. Cook on low setting 6 to 8 hours.
Zuppa Toscana – This soup first appeared on my blog back in 2018. That seems like a really long time ago.
Definitely hearty soup with an Italian twist! This week, I made this soup with the addition of 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning. Yummy!
Tex Mex Bowls
Bowls make a great meal prep option for lunch or dinner.
- 2 Bell Peppers – seeded and sliced thin strips (I like to use red, yellow or orange)
- 1 Poblano Pepper – seeded and sliced in to this strips
- 1 Medium onion – peeled, cut in half then slice thin
- Olive Oil
- Taco or Fajita Seasoning
- Chicken or Ground beef – I used rotisserie chicken or taco meat. You could also use ground turkey
- Brown Rice or White Rice – Cooked
- Cauliflower Rice – Cooked
- Canned Black Beans – rinsed and drained
- Diced Avocado
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese
- Shredded Lettuce
- Pico or Grape Tomatoes cut in half
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Spread peppers and onions, drizzle with olive oil and toss with the seasoning. Bake for 20 minutes – stirring halfway through. Remove from oven and cool.
Now the rest is up to you. Here’s how I layer my bowl:
- Warmed rice – ½ cup
- Warmed cauliflower rice ½ cup
- Roasted Veggies
- Black beans – ¼ cup
- Chicken, beef or turkey
Then pile on the toppings. My favorites are avocado, cilantro, pico and lettuce.
From my house to yours. Let me know if you enjoy these healthy, comforting soup and chili recipes!
What are you doing for a good life?
If you appreciate this post, please support me by signing up to receive more posts on living a good life after 50, follow me on all the social medias listed below!
To receive more information about nourishing your mind, body and soul For a Good Life After 50, click on the subscribe button at the top of this post!
To learn the small, doable steps For a Good Life After 50, follow me here: Instagram Facebook Pinterest Twitter
I appreciate your support. What helps me the most is to share this post wherever you can. Save an image to Pinterest, share this post on Facebook or with a friend. Sign up to receive posts and following on social media. Supporting bloggers is easy and free.
I’m always looking for new soup recipes so thank you for sharing. This looks delicious!